Recipe of the week!


Recipe of the week this week is Tipsy Cake. This is more of a dessert than a cake and was apparently enjoyed by eighteenth century bucks (who seldom turned away anything with a whiff of alcohol). It was traditionally served at ball suppers. I chose it because I like the name and I also love the thought of young ladies meekly drinking lemonade and then becoming completely cast away on a pudding that had enough alcohol in it to sink a battleship!


Ingredients

1 large sponge cake, three or four days old.
Enough sweet wine or sherry to saturate it (about half a pint!)
6 tablespoons of brandy (because there isn't enough alcohol in it already!)
2 oz sweet almonds
1 pint rich custard
ratafia biscuits or macaroons

Cut the bottom of the cake so that it sits flat in the serving dish. Make a hole in the centre and pour in and over the cake the wine, sherry and brandy mixture. Blanch and cut the almonds into strips and stick them all over the cake once it is well soaked. Pour the custard around the base and garnish with the biscuits. Enjoy!

Comments

Gossip Cowgirl said…
This was a great post! I had a great image of women in empire-waisted dresses and gloves fainting in a drunken stupor after eating their cake. :-) Loved it!
Jan Jones said…
"Let me press you to another dish of cake, my dear..."
Keira Soleore said…
Nice to have some refined carbohydrates with their alcohol.
Beth Elliott said…
Who needs arguments? Just serve tipsy cake to husband/ children/suitors and get what you want when they can only smile and agree with you. Heehee - and then make sure you get your portion.
NinaP said…
Oh my, I'm getting light-headed just reading the recipe.

What are sweet almonds?
cara elliott said…
I'm getting cross-eyed just reading it!
Nicola Cornick said…
I'm not sure what sweet almonds are as opposed to ordinary ones, Nina. I will try to find out. It's a great recipe though, isn't it! I like the name - it does exactly what it says!

Popular posts from this blog

Sexiest Man in Period Costume Awards!

The Books of Your Childhood.

Literary heroes - the shock of disillusion!